Wednesday 12 November 2014

The Babadook

It's 2am and I have just finished watching what just so happened to be one of the greatest horror films I have ever had the pleasure of viewing.


The Babadook (2014) 



Synopsis:

It has been six years since the death of Amelia's husband and she is still struggling to come to terms with what has happened. Her son's behaviour is out of hand and she is finding it extremely difficult to bond with him the way a mother should. Samuel constantly dreams of monsters that are going to come and kill him and Amelia, so when they stumble across a horrifying book called 'The Babadook', they don't realise what they have let themselves in for. Samuel begins to hallucinate and suffer from terrifying visions, causing him to become violent and unpredictable but when Amelia herself catches a glimpse of this illusive monster, she realises The Babadook may be real after all. 

Review:

The Babadook is an Australian horror movie written and directed by Jennifer Kent and is a breath of fresh air to the horror genre, which as of late, seems to rely on predictable jump scares and gore. This film however, is a complete work of art and relies on the atmosphere and tension of what lurks behind the camera lens. The Babadook plays with your emotions and psychological state of mind, preying on your weaknesses throughout the whole film. The whole environment mirrors the emotions and atmosphere of this dark tale, working side by side with an incredible performance from Essie Davis and magnificent cinematography and use of mise-en-scene. I can't fault this film in any way and being a huge horror fan, I struggle to find recent films that stand out and stick in my mind long after I have finished watching but I think it's safe to say before I go to sleep tonight I'll be checking underneath my bed for The Babadook.


5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment