Tuesday 21 October 2014

Film of the Week


Hey guys, after watching snippets of 'The Graduate' and 'Marathon Man' during university yesterday I rediscovered my love for Dustin Hoffman and thought I'd treat you all to my favourite Hoffman film of all time.

Rain Man (1988) :


 


Synopsis: 
Charlie Babbit (Cruise) is a selfish business man who works in the Los Angeles car industry. When his father passes away and leaves most of his inheritance to an unknown person, Charlie decides to look into it, only to discover he has a brother, Raymond Babbit (Hoffman). Raymond lives in a care home and suffers from autism, so when Charlie kidnaps him and disrupts the routine his brother has been accustomed to living by he realises he has bitten off more than he can chew but in a bid to gain possession of his father's $3 million, he takes Raymond across the country. The film follows their story as they begin to bond and regain the brotherly love that they had once lost and Charlie soon discovers the imaginary friend he had when he was younger (Rain Man) was actually his older brother, Raymond.


Review:

Rain Man is a loveable and touching movie; made even better by Hoffman and Cruise in their roles. The chemistry between the two brothers is so easy to see and it really gets you invested in the movie. I am a huge fan of the story, the dialogue and the characters and I remember watching this film for the first time when I was 10 years old; it was powerful enough to stick with me over the next thirteen years and it's one that I am always suggesting to my friends. If you haven't seen this movie then you're really missing out on one of Hoffman's most powerful performances and it's fascinating how the whole movie is framed around a character who is incapable of emotions.

Seriously, go and check this film out.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment