Wednesday 29 October 2014

Halloween Horror Night

Hello guys, so as I'm sure you're aware Halloween is right around the corner and if you're anything like me you prefer a night in front of the TV, in the dark, watching films that make you afraid to go to the toilet alone.
In light of that, I thought it would be a good idea to give you a list of my top 10 horror movies that chilled me to the bone. Oh, and they're not in any particular order.


10. 28 Days Later (2002)




If you're a huge fan of 'zombie horrors' and 'post-apocalyptic' movies like I am then this film will be right up your street. If you just so happen to live in London, then it could well be right up your street as this film is set in our wonderful capital. I am so accustomed to seeing zombie films set in America, that witnessing '28 days later' in London made things a little more real and all the more terrifying. 
1) Nobody wants a zombie apocalypse to happen outside their home.
2) These aren't your regular, slow and dumb zombies. These things run, fast.
Safe to say I'd be doomed from the beginning as an asthma sufferer and someone who is medically diagnosed with 'Lazy-itis'. (It's a real thing, my mum said so)...
Anyway, give this film a watch and I can guarantee, those of you begging for a zombie apocalypse (me included), will soon change their mind. 



9. Sinister (2012)




WARNING: DO NOT WATCH THIS FILM ALONE. 
I don't scare easily, honestly but this film really sent a shiver down my spine. Once it gets into the swing of things and we start witnessing what horrors lie on these tapes, it's safe to say it's definitely not something for the faint hearted. AND they get worse as they go on. 
If you're looking for a gruesome, twisted story with several jump scares then I definitely suggest you check out 'Sinister'. 



8. Grave Encounters (2011)


Don't be fooled by the film's shaky start. Yes, it is a massive cheesefest with terrible acting but I promise it gets better. Found footage horror's are one of my favourites; it's very difficult to make this kind of film work on a deeper level than several jump scares but 'Grave Encounters' does just that.
It's mental torture, it leaves you just as lost and confused as the characters and you literally have no idea what to expect the whole way through. It's never going to win any awards but for a low-budget horror I have to say it's definitely one of my favourites and I was a little tense throughout the whole thing so go and check it out and remember, PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP ON IT FOR THE FIRST 30 MINUTES. 


7. Single White Female (1992)


Okay, so this one isn't so much of a horror as it is a thriller but it's still pretty terrifying, I watched this for the first time at the tender age of 12 and it really stuck with me. The film isn't about jump scares or monsters (although 'Hedy' is pretty monstrous as the film goes on), it's more about the atmosphere and the plot. A fantastic, eerie thriller about crossing the line between friendship and obsession. Go check it out!



6. REC (2007)


Yep, another virus outbreak, found footage film; two of my favourite sub-genres combines which is why 'REC' is definitely one of my all-time favourites. It is a Spanish horror film but trust me, you'll be too afraid to take your eyes off what's going on to even think about reading the subtitles. The whole movie is dark, unsuspecting, tense and downright terrifying. If you're planning on watching it alone in the dark I have one word of warning for you... DON'T. 



5. Insidious (2013)


I won't lie; the first movie was terrible but as it says in my blog 'I'll watch anything once' and thought I'd give the second one a try after hearing much more positive reviews. It's not as frightening as the some of the others on my list but it definitely has it's moments. 'Insidious 2' has a way of hiding things in the background so as you submerge yourself in the scene, concentrating on what you may or may not see be able to see, the film slaps you in the face with jump scares. If you enjoyed the first one then check this out and if you didn't enjoy the first one, still check this out. 


4. Afflicted (2013)

I know, I know another found footage horror but I really am a sucker for these things. I came across this movie on a suggestion from Google and I wasn't disappointed. It's such an intriguing story and a little bit of a slow burner but once it gets into the swing of things I can assure you it's truly terrifying. When the film starts it has certain elements of a comedy and is rather light hearted but once it gets to the real storyline then the fun begins. 'Afflicted' is such an underrated film and I'm so glad I came across it so that I can pass the knowledge on to you. Give it a watch and let me know what you think.



3. The Woman in Black (2012)



Yes, I'm fully aware that this film was rated a 12 but it's scary, okay? Daniel Radcliffe will always have a place in my heart and it's always been difficult for him to shift that 'Harry Potter' image but this was the first film I've been able to watch him act in without seeing him as the loveable Potter. The film has such a tense atmosphere and leaves you guessing what's coming next, which makes for very uncomfortable viewing and that's exactly what we want this Halloween, right? 'The Woman in Black' has so many jump scares I'm pretty sure I spent most of my time in the air rather than on the couch and I find it intriguing how we see 'Arthur' at the house alone most of the time but it's still interesting to watch. The whole thing makes you feel isolated and uneasy, it's definitely not a 12a. 


2. Creep (2004)

Written and directed by British Independent film maker Christopher Smith; this low-budget horror really made the most of the little it had. I'm not a fan of slasher/gore films but I appreciate 'Creep' so much more than the others because there is also a plot and characters that we actually get to know. The title of the film describes the content pretty well and of course, with it being set in the London underground it makes it all the more terrifying. After watching this film it's safe to say the London Underground won't look the same to you again and remember, NEVER get locked in there overnight. 



1. The Possession of Michael King (2014)



It's been a while since I watched a film that frightened me enough to cause me to hide my eyes and be slightly hesitant about watching the rest but I soldiered on because in fact, this film does exactly what I wanted it to do. I've been waiting for a film with depth, atmosphere and a good plot for a very long time so I was extremely pleased with 'The Possession of Michael King'. I genuinely had no idea what was about to happen next and hiding behind the comfort and safety of my own blanket I still managed to jump out of my skin many times throughout the film. I don't want to give anything away on this one but if you're looking for something truly terrifying this Halloween then please go and watch this film!  

No comments:

Post a Comment